PTSD Treatment Perth
When you think of trauma, you often think of major events such as wars or near death experiences which cripple you functioning, and create a legacy of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). However we now know that PTSD can come about from far less severe incidents or ongoing exposure to unsafe or adverse environments of dynamics with other people.
In our Perth based practice, our PTSD therapy approach is to “turn off the switch” that is jammed that keeps you no longer feeling safe in the world. The treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder must take you back to a place of the original state of feeling safe again. As our therapists have a very good understanding of how PTSD manifests in your body and mind, we can help resolve simple and complex trauma using both counselling and psychotherapy.
What Is PTSD
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is characterised as being present where a traumatic event is re-experienced persistently in at least one of the following ways:
- Recurrent and intrusive memory, including fantasizing or re-enactment of the event(s)
- Recurrent distressing dreams of the event(s)
- Sudden gestures, flashbacks or feelings as though the event(s) are happening again
- Intense psychological distress at exposure to events that symbolize or “seems like – feels like” some part of the traumatic original event(s)
Symptoms Of PTSD
PTSD manifests symptoms in both the body and mind with symptoms which may include:
- Disrupted nervous system that is easily aroused
- Feeling unsafe
- Hyper-vigilance which constantly scans for danger and the original threat
- Recurrences of that thing which originally created the PTSD in the first place
- Emotionally reactive
- Splits-off or dissociates by leaving your body when startled
- Distorts reality and hallucinates with old images inserted into current reality
- Black and white rigid thinking
- Feeling collapse or chaotic
- Starts but does not finish projects and tasks
- Withdrawn or isolated
- Fears socialising or being in crowds or around noise or stimulation
- Numb to physical bodily sensations and feelings
Treatment For Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Talk therapy is effective as an educational tool but is limited in dealing with PTSD.
At Energetics Institute in Perth, some of our body mind therapists are specifically trained in Sensorimotor Trauma Psychotherapy which treats trauma by reprogramming the PTSD sustaining Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) part of the brain. This approach utilises the body as a key means of having the trauma sufferer develop awareness of their internal sensations and physical action patterns.
PTSD is a bodymind issue that needs to be treated with an approach that pays attention to the present time experience and interpretation of physical sensations and the prior experience, pre-programmed physical action patterns, and also physical movement and breath strategies for trauma recovery.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder treatment creates a safe environment for healing to occur. Our PTSD treatment may involve, breathwork, neuroscience, attachment theory, bodywork and working with the sensorimotor processes of the trauma sufferer. Work may be needed on boundary violations, abandonment, trust issues, loss of self-regulation, and formation of victim belief systems.
Check out our our Trauma Counselling page which explains the origins of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Check out our more in-depth PTSD Articles which explore this topic from a BodyMind Psychotherapy perspective.
Upcoming Workshop on PTSD
This experiential workshop will teach you how to manage your trauma by down regulating your activated trauma symptoms before full blown trauma occurs. Trauma is in the body as well as the mind and must be tackled wholistically to heal.Find out more »