At Energetics Institute in Perth, we provide you with assistance on starting and maintaining a Mindfulness practice. Richard Boyd, one of our therapists has maintained a 30 year meditation practice that incorporates mindfulness. e is able to share insights into the benefits, process, experiences and wisdom of mindfulness for clients.
What is Mindfulness
Mindfulness is the art and practice of training your mind to stay present to a thought, object or image in your mind, despite being challenged by your external or internal environment.
Mindfulness is about developing the habit of mind to stay fully conscious and aware of what is present moment-to-moment. You want to reach that objective without distraction, replacement by other thoughts or states of mind.
Most ordinary minds are weak at maintaining concentration. You may forget the object you were focussed on, or your mind may jump around. Your mind may vague out into nothingness or fantasy dreaming, when it chooses to, and beyond your conscious control.
Mindfulness helps you to remain focussed on the thought, image, idea, memory or object on which you are concentrating. Mindfulness reduces and in the long term eliminates and prevents distractions which may hijack your attention and concentration.
What are the benefits of Mindfulness
Mindfulness has been shown to improve the mental health of those who practice and cultivate Mindfulness strategies in their everyday life. Some benefits include:
- Better grounded presence moment-to-moment in body and mind
- Greater sensitivity and observation skills of outside environments
- Improved relationship with yourself at feeling and thinking level of consciousness
- Increased relationship with your body including ability to sense bodily states and to work with pain or tension in your body
- Improved ability to focus and concentrate
- Increased productivity in work due to less distractions and splitting off
- Reduction and minimisation of negative thinking and busy mind buzz
- Increased energy and positivity of your mind
- Reduced anxiety and resilience against impact of stress or sudden sensory stimulation or arousal
- Better and deeper sleep
- Ability to stay present and focus on tasks and problems
- Enhanced creativity through increased mind focus and attention
- Ability to use your mind to down-regulate stress and anxiety by shutting it down
- Calming through single-pointed attention on one object for long time
- Enhanced immune system and health generally
- Reduction of existing trauma, anxiety and depression
- Feeling more in control of all aspects of Self
- Sense of peace within yourself and the ability to sit still without restlessness
- Acceptance of Self through understanding relativity of self to outside of self
- Increased sense of connectedness and oneness in all that you experience
What Treatment Strategies are used in Mindfulness Therapy
Our Mindfulness approach in Perth incorporates some elements of both MBCT (Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy) and MBSR (Mindfulness Perth Based Stress Reduction). It also respects and engages in the proven thousand year old practices of Tibetan Buddhism to achieve results.
We can offer you training that enables you to commence and build a mindfulness practice within your own life. The practice is based on a combination of neuroscience understanding of brain function, coupled with the training of Buddhist Philosophy on how to generate mindfulness.
The goal when using Mindfulness strategies is for anyone to be able to cultivate the skill to remain focused. You also want to remain fully present to your moment-to-moment conscious experience and any related sensations you feel in your body, contact us today to find out more.