Energetics Institute offer Perth and internet clients tips and assistance on starting and maintaining a Mindfulness practice. Richard has maintained a 30 year meditation practice that incorporates mindfulness and is able to share insights into the benefits, process, experiences and wisdom of mindfulness for clients who may not want to pursue daily meditation, but whom would like to develop a mindfulness practice instead.
What is Mindfulness
Mindfulness is an aspect of mind that was named by Buddhist practitioners who describe it as “a mental factor that functions not to forget the object realised by a primary mind”.
Mindfulness then is developing the habit of mind to stay consciously aware moment-to-moment of what is present moment-to-moment, without distraction, replacement by other thoughts or states of mind
Most ordinary minds are weak at maintaining concentration without forgetting the object it was focussed on, or the mind jumps around between different thought threads, or vagues out into nothingness or fantasy dreaming, when it chooses to, and beyond your conscious control.
Mindfulness is the art and practice of training your mind to stay present to a thought, truth, or object in your mind, even in the face of challenges and disturbances from within us, or from the external environment, or both.
Mindfulness functions to stay focussed on the thought, image, idea, memory or object on which you are concentrating. Mindfulness reduces and then long term eliminates and prevents distractions which may hijack your attention and concentration.
What are the benefits of Mindfulness
Mindfulness has been shown to improve the mental health of those who practice and cultivate Mindfulness in their everyday life. Some benefits include:
- Better grounded presence moment-to-moment in body and mind
- Greater sensitivity and observation skills of outside environments
- Increased relationship with yourself at feeling and thinking level of consciousness
- Increased relationship with your body including ability to sense bodily states and to work with pain or tension in your body
- Increased ability to focus and concentrate
- Increased productivity in work due to less distractions and vagueing out
- Reduction and minimisation of negative thinking and busy mind buzz
- Reduced anxiety and resilience against impact of stress or sudden sensory stimulation or arousal
- Increased energy and positivity of your mind
- Better and deeper sleep
- Ability to stay present and focus on tasks and problems
- Enhanced creativity through increased mind focus and attention
- Ability to use your mind to down-regulate stress and anxiety by shutting it down
- Calming through single-pointed attention on one object for long time
- Enhanced immune system and health generally
- Reduce and minimise existing mental health impacts from trauma, anxiety and depression
- Feeling more in control of all aspects of Self
- Sense of peace within yourself and the ability to sit still without restlessness
- Acceptance of Self through understanding relativity of self to outside of self
- Increased sense of connectedness and oneness in all that you experience
What Treatment Strategies are used in Mindfulness Therapy
Energetics Institute offer Perth and internet clients the training that enables them to commence and build a mindfulness practice within their own life. The practice is based on a combination of neuroscience understanding of brain function, coupled with the training of Buddhist Philosophy on how to generate mindfulness via practice.
The goal is for anyone to be able to develop the ability to pay attention, or being attuned to their moment-to-moment conscious experience and bodily sensations – both internal and external.
The approach incorporates some elements of both MBCT and MBSR, but respects and engages in the proven thousand year old practices of Tibetan Buddhism to achieve results. Richard has been adopting this approach for 30 years and so is practical and experienced in his understanding and teaching to others.
The end result is the ability to have point focussed awareness on whatever object you choose. You develop the ability to have background awareness of everything that exists still in place, but at the same time you can place your mind towards an object of interest.